Wednesday 1 April 2009

Update on a bunion no more

I am less fatigued and more mobile but the right foot weighs heavily and throbs from time to time. My posture needs constant attention. I further realise that for some time my spine has been compensating for my feet. I have been walking on the outside of the right foot and now I must re-learn walking from heel-to-toe. It is incredible how ascending or descending a spiral staircase or one with a winder can affect the knees, thighs and spine. By and large most human beings move without disability  as a healthy body is taken for granted BUT feet and other extremities need to be cared for.
Now I am at the end of a prescribed 15 days, extended to 20 days, of medical treatment. Within that time I have had 15 phlebitis injections, 4 blood tests, and 8 or more changes of bandage. One would not get this level of treatment in England. Even if I have to pay towards the treatment I do not care. If the car has to be serviced I have to pay!! So why not pay for the engine that keeps me alive.
I am never an easy patient. A few days ago when my foot was pulsating, the nurse tried to remove flaky, dead skin, but the build-up of stress from being poked about for many days got to me and I cried!!! I do this when I cannot cope with stress! Pathetic... but there it is! The nurse who I had pre-judged to be rather stern, compared to the first nurse, has, in fact, a veritable heart of gold and I have come to have enormous regard and respect for her.  One should never pre-judge a person by it's cover!! I was very surprised when she tipped me on the chin and gave me a kiss on the cheek because I had been crying. I was so touched that I had to cry again with happiness! THAT kind of action certainly would be misinterpreted in England if it were to occur!!! Then on the following day, departing through the doorway she blew me a kiss. I think she explained that she was happier to see me smiling and not crying. She speaks no English and although my French has improved I do not understand totally. I empathise with her and realise that she must have been quite anxious about communication with Les Anglais. . Why is it that when someone is a foreigner we tend to shout at them? She shouts far less now.
The foot has healed extremely well and the wonderful nurse has removed the final scab, stitches and some dead skin from the foot. I have been putting copious amounts of oils of evening primrose, argan and lavender onto both feet. These all have healing properties for wounds and scars. I have also used cream of arnica and although the foot is still a little swollen, the bruising has disappeared. I took Arnica tablets and echinacea before the op and it is my belief that this has really helped a quick recovery.

I really have to thank Captain Sensible for caring for me (yet again) as I will be unable to drive for at least another three weeks. Improvement arrives daily and yesterday, instead of hobbling, I could wander slowly around the supermarket. In the 19 days since the operation, I have not been allowed to do anything that has required me to walk or stand. He has cooked and cleaned and started to plant the potatoes in the garden. The latter is hard on his back.

Now that time is passing. Yesterday I cooked my first meal in four weeks!! We had delicious Cauliflower Cheese, grilled parsnip, potato and carrot shavings and Captain Sensible also had 4 pork meatballs made from the pork terrine mixture I had created earlier. He now smells of garlic!! It is extremely economical and we must make some more. I also made a Steamed Marmalade pudding.

Last night I hobbled to the French Group who are learning English. It was M's birthday so we drank some Champagne and ate pink foil-wrapped chocolate rabbits and chocolate fish. I gave my group dictation and we discussed the history of April Fool's day, whereas the Captain's group continued their topic on the expression of feelings in present, past and future tenses.

It was an end to a busy day which had commenced with a piano lesson - a duet with Laurie.

And back to today ... the first lizard has been seen. Just when I think life is hard a little light of joy gives so much pleasure.

A  few days later, the nurse arrives to check my foot.  She is very pleased with how it has healed so quickly and I am so happy that each day it is less sore. She enters my Carte Vitale into her machine and tells me I have nothing to pay. Amazing! I give her two 'Tecolote Ranunculus' plants  - for her and her 'remplacement' - with a little dedication of my appreciation of their professional help, 'bisou' in the French manner and say 'au revoir'.  I walk to the future.

Look at this if you need to have a bunion op!





No comments: