Wednesday 1 April 2009

The history of a bunion in photos


This is how the foot looks exactly three and a half weeks after the op.  I am really pleased.
And now for the recent history.
These are photos of my right foot before the operation. As you see the bunion is not very bad and I don't have any hammer toes. The problem was that each winter a bursitis would form or begin to form on the bunion as the skin was so thin and fragile, causing me to have to protect the bunion with ointments and bandages. Once when at work, the year before I left, the problem was so exacerbated that I could not wear a shoe. At that time I had to daily attend the surgery for the bandages to be changed.


This is the medication cadeaux box I received on prescription for which I paid zero after the operation. It contains everything I need for phlebitis injections and changing of pansements (bandages). In addition you can see the envelopes of xrays. In France the patient owns the xrays and has to look after them in case they are required at a later date. I think the average French person probably needs an office cabinet dedicated to their lifetime medical records.

This is the foot bandaged up for exit from the hospital. The special chaussure was a waste of expense. It was too small. My foot stuck out beyond the front as so when I walked the toe hit the ground!!! AND it caused soreness across the width of the upper foot. It is very modern and the sole is 'all the rage'. The sole is designed on the rocker style shoes of an African tribe and is designed to help the wearer walk heel-to-toe, but in my case it was not designed for gravel paths and trying to get to and from the car there were three times when I rocked over sideways causing enormous pain.

These photos are taken two weeks after the operation. The foot has reduced in size by half and is healing very nicely.

No comments: